The garage door is a complicated piece of hardware that most of us use every day. We open it every morning to back our car out and close it as we head off to take the kids to school or to go to work. Then when we return home in the evening, we open and close it once more. With so much use, it’s a wonder that garage doors manage to last as long as they do.
Yet every so often, garage doors do need some general care and maintenance in order to keep them in working order. If you choose not to maintain your garage door, then your garage door could break. The bad news is that replacing a garage door can be costly.
Thankfully, there’s a way to maintain your garage door without lifting a finger. A garage door maintenance service will do all of the hard work for you so that you don’t have to. But what’s covered in a garage door maintenance service and are they really worth the money? Keep reading below to find out.
Why is Garage Door Maintenance Important?
When you own a property, your maintenance list can often seem never-ending. From keeping the inside of your property clean and keeping on top of your garden, to ensuring that your home is safe and secure, there is a whole load of tasks that need to be completed regularly.
Another important task that needs to be completed regularly is garage door maintenance. While your garage door is a strong piece of equipment, just like most other things in your home it can suffer from wear and tear and damage over time. Therefore, it’s important to maintain and look after it correctly in order to ensure that it remains in good condition. Here are some of the reasons why garage door maintenance is so important:
- Safety – a garage door that is not maintained can become a safety hazard. In fact, every year thousands of people are injured in garage door-related incidents.
- Convenience – most of us use our garage doors on a daily basis. If your garage door stops working correctly because you didn’t maintain it, this can be far from convenient.
- Avoid expensive repairs – garage doors can be costly to repair or replace.
- Increase the lifespan of the door – improper maintenance can reduce the lifespan of the door.
- Increase the value of your home – most potential homebuyers favor homes that have well-maintained garage doors.
How to Maintain a Garage Door
Maintaining a garage door is no easy task which is why so many people choose to hire a garage door maintenance service but, if you’d rather maintain it yourself, here are some of our top tips to help you:
- Inspect the garage door regularly – you should look for things like dents and cracks or other areas where the door is not sealed correctly.
- Inspect the hardware on your garage door – look at the springs, hinges, lift arm, and any other hardware on your garage door that is used to open and close the door. You will need to make sure that this hardware is free from damage and rust.
- Inspect the door tracks – you will need to make sure that the door tracks aren’t misaligned or bent. The wheels on the door hardware should be able to roll when you open or close the door.
- Check the door supports – make sure that the anchor screws in the overhead door supports and tracks aren’t missing.
- Replace the batteries in the automatic opener – it’s a good idea to replace the batteries in your remote controls every 12 months.
- Lubricate the door hardware – this will help to keep your door hardware working correctly.
- Wash the garage door – this will help to keep the garage door looking its best. However, make sure you don’t use a power washer on your door as this can take the paint off.
What is Covered in Garage Door Maintenance Service and Why Use One?
If you don’t like the idea of maintaining your garage door yourself, then employing a garage door maintenance service is a great idea. Here are some of the things that are included with this service:
- Visual inspection of the garage door and the hardware – during a maintenance visit a technician will check all of the cables, springs, rollers, and pulleys to make sure that they are working correctly.
- Lubrication – the garage door technician will lubricate the hardware of your garage door. The lubricant they use will minimize the wear and tear on your hardware.
- Door balance – they will run tests to make sure that your door is opening and closing properly.
- Repair – if they notice any problems with your garage door, they will discuss them with you before repairing or replacing parts.
Some of the other tasks they will perform include:
- Tightening belts, chains, nuts, and bolts
- Inspecting the drive mechanism
- Adjusting the garage door opener
- Adjusting springs
- Checking and setting limit switches
- Examining the weather seal and repairing or replacing it if necessary
- Testing the infrared system
As you can see, garage door maintenance services perform a number of tasks to make sure that your garage door is working correctly.
Maintaining a garage door isn’t a simple task which is why so many people choose to hire a garage door maintenance service. These services are useful, since they make sure that your garage door is in full working order so that you don’t have to. This saves you time and energy so that you can focus on other important maintenance tasks in your home.